Saturday, April 24, 2010

Responce to Radical Simplicity

When I see into the future 10 years from now I see myself with a career. Well about to finish my career I medicine. I want to be a doctor; therefore it will take a long time before it happened. However, 10 days seemed about right. Because I am barely getting out of school, I do not have luxuries yet. The place that I call home is an apartment. Very nice one though. Spacious and very well decorated. I have several trash cans under the zinc for recyclables and decomposable. I buy fruits and vegetable in the farmer’s market and I am considerate of the energy wasting that I do. A lot of the things that I describe I had already planned, and I was not influenced by Radical Simplicity. My car will be a hybrid thus it doesn’t hurt the environment. Many other products for example hygiene and cleaning supplies will be eco-friendly. Right after I finish my career I will move to a cleaner city (if I’m still in Los Angeles). From my description I can see that the book Radical Simplicity did not really influenced my view of the future.
The lifestyle that Merkel chose to live is somewhat extreme and due to my goals, I highly doubt I will be following his example. I think he did it because he was already tired of his life, and because of the job he had he might have thought that it was time for him to something good with his life. Even like that, he went a little too far. If he wanted to do something good with his life he could start little by little. Like could have started by changing to a job that satisfied him more. Then sell or get rid of the things he didn’t need. Like that live simpler. There is no need to change so drastically. However, if that is his wish and he feels better doing that, then still a good thing to do, however too drastic for me. Nevertheless, he makes really good points about enjoy nature more, and how we should do things that produce less waste and are more productive. I liked his idea of taking a walk through nature and actually look, feel and smell everything in nature. I liked this because many times we take the beautiful things that the earth offer us for granted, and this is a way to appreciate all the good things that we have in life.
What keep me from doing what the author of Radical Simplicity did are the ambitions that I have in life. Due to my current economic status I have not enjoy many luxuries and I see other people do. Therefore, it makes me want what they don’t have. Besides I have always worked hard to better myself, and at this point is my economic status what I want to improve. However, I will not just be a wasteful person; I work hard for what I want but still considering nature. I think that how everyone should look at it. How everyone should work towards their dream. Keep your same dreams but add nature into it and find a way to still reach those dreams without damaging earth so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment