Saturday, May 1, 2010

Progress Report 1

“Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory.”
General George S. Patton
My project was a lifestyle changing project. Due to the trash inventory assignment I notice that I was wasting a lot of plastic bottles. Then thanks to the environmental last quarter I learned that although, I recycle all plastic bottles, the recycling process produce a lot of pollution, thus I’m still harming the environment in a very crucial way. Therefore I decided to stop drinking water from plastic water bottles, and drink from the water fountain. I had issues with the water that comes from there because it tastes really bad, but to solve that problem I bought flavor powder so it tastes better. So far I have been saving so much plastic. Usually, I drink about 3-4 plastic water bottles, thus I’m saving all that plastic by changing a little bit of my habits.
The second thing that I changed about my lifestyle was energy wise. I use to leave my computer on all day, sometimes even when I went to class, or dinner. Thus, I have decided to make it a habit that every time I am walking out of my room, no matter for what I will put my laptop to sleep, so no energy will be consumed. However, I don’t know how to calculate how much energy I am saving since the bill doesn’t go to me. Even if I divide the whole bill with how many people there are in the building I still wouldn’t know.
Finally the third challenge I took on myself was to stop eating as much meat. I am only allowed to eat meat two days a week. So far it has been very hard since the options that the dinners provide aren’t too appetizing. However, I have stuck to my plan, and what I’m seeing is that I’m eating less meat than what I had set my mind too. Another observation is that I have been eating more fruit and way more carbs too. I am worry about my protein because they don’t have a lot of non-meat options that contain protein, which is why I didn’t want to go fully vegetarian. I like this because I feel like im not contributing to the slaughter of animals, also it makes me feel good about myself. After, watching the documentary in class I am very happy that I have chosen to stop eating meat for a while.
So far im succeeding in what I have set my mind to and im very happy with the results.

2 comments:

  1. Less meat than you had set your mind too is great! I was just at Walgreens today. They have stainless steel water bottles for 3 and 5 bucks. Everywhere else they cost 15-25 bucks! There's a Walgreens West on Wilshire. Number 2 BB bus will get you there. Then you won't have to drink that gross drinking fountain water (seriously it tastes like sucking on pennies)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the quote! You are going to be so proud of yourself after this quarter. I feel like it's difficult at first to make changes to a daily routine (at least for me), but I know that you'll learn a lot and it will change your life for the better.
    I also leave my laptop on most of the time--this is something I should work on also!

    ReplyDelete